Boomerang

What goes around comes back around reminds me of a Justin Timberlake song, but that’s not where this is going. It is a struggle every day to live a faith filled life, but I will die trying. I believe it is in our actions, putting people before ourselves, it is in our words what we say and what we hold back. It’s in making sacrifices. I have not had the desire to post in a while, but today I saw the face of Jesus and it was awe inspiring. I believe there are angels and saints among us, whether they are checking in, to see how we will react or to give us a fleeting glimpse of pure happiness.
We were out of town celebrating my mom’s 60th birthday, and it was a total surprise. She had no idea! We have spent the weekend in a little hippy town in Arizona. Our weekend was filled with family centered fun celebrating such an amazing woman. Seven years ago my mom got sick; eight months after we buried our sweet Adalynne. It was the battle of her life, and she won. Here was her take on her 60th (again this was before she knew we were surprising her):

“My 60th celebration started last week with a glorious trip to Nashville, Spent time with my southern crew and loved every second of it! Today I’m at Krispy Krème getting my annual fix of warm gooey donuts and then off on my favorite bike run to burn them off. Heading to Flagstaff later today to spend special time with Southwest crew and my sweet husband (of almost 25 years). So excited. Let me say GOD is good!! There was a time I feared 60 would not come but since those scary days, I have experienced the birth of three more babies, one beautiful marriage and the transformation of a lost soul to peace. Every milestone is appreciated and I pray I have many more with the people who mean so much to me…my family!....”

So this morning we decided to go to a kid friendly breakfast spot. As we’re pulling up I notice a homeless man in the parking lot. We proceeded to go in to the restaurant to have a biscuit and gravy filled feast for 12. I looked up and noticed the man from the parking lot sitting alone at a table. I was right behind him at one point because they had a play kitchen where MaryCathlin was using her imagination. I wondered about the man, about his past and how hard it would be not to have a home. It made me sad for him and at that moment I decided that Ryan and I would very quietly treat him to breakfast. He made me think of Jesus. I don’t know if it’s because today is Palm Sunday or how ridiculed Jesus was and the sorrowful mysteries that filled his final days. I have no idea why my thoughts went in that direction.  My coffee was calling my name and MaryCathlin continued to play in their kid kitchen setup. The server came around to take orders when I whispered to her asking her if she would put his meal on our bill, but she said he doesn’t have to pay and that they have already taken care of it. At about this time MaryCathlin was rushing over to our table when she tripped with a bucket of toys and they scattered everywhere. The man from the parking lot popped up out of his chair to help her pick up the toys. He went back to his chair while Ryan continued to help her. Ryan overheard him ask the server, “Do you have a dessert menu? What do you have that is sweet? ” He proceeded to order a cinnamon roll. Ryan took her over there to thank him for helping her pick-up her mess. Shortly afterwards a cinnamon roll was delivered to his table when he told the server, “it’s for that little ladybug over there.” She then delivered a warm gooey sticky sweet cinnamon roll to our Little Ladybug 2.0. Ryan again took her over to the man to thank him.  Ryan had told me what had occurred and it made me teary eyed. This small act of kindness from a complete stranger took my breath away. He has very little, but did not hesitate to give to another. I learned a profound lesson on this Palm Sunday, April 9, 2017. I learned that all of us are a little lost. This man who has so little gave me so much today. Calling MaryCathlin a little ladybug was a wink from up above, and although she’s not here to celebrate she’s always near. As this man was leaving he gave MaryCathlin a triangle shaped boomerang. It was full circle. Here I was thinking I would do an act of kindness when he was to the one who delivered a gift of grace, kindness and selflessness. When I receive the gift of Holy Communion this evening at the Palm Sunday service and make the sign of the cross, “In the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit” I’ll remember the man from Flagstaff who reminded me that Jesus can be seen when sought. He can be seen in the face of a man without a home and hands covered in dirt who had the most beautiful bluish green eyes. If it’s a ladybug landing on her mom’s face as they capture a moment in time when she was them, or that same little girl kissing her daddy on the cheek as she says her last goodbyes, or a man seven years later who calls her little sister a ladybug. These were moments I was given a glimpse of the face of Jesus. If time marches on and I forget about the lesson we learned today I’ll take out the boomerang he gave to MaryCathlin, as he was leaving the restaurant. It’ll bring it back around.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts