Cotton Candy Sunrises and Cabbage Patch Surprises

Today marks nine years since I saw your sweet face. Today, nine years ago I watched you take your last breath and counted the last beat of your heart. Watching you slip away forever changed me. I look for you every day. I look for you in the cotton candy sunrises and the purple sunsets. We call them Adalynne sunrises and Adalynne sunsets. And then there are those days where you find me...

We had scheduled a photographer to capture a moment in time when all was good. The excitement of Santa's upcoming visit was in the air, bellies were full of Christmastime treats and the granddaughters were about to experience their first Nashville Ballet's Nutcracker. We had planned the outfits down to the tartan ties and Charlie Brown Christmas Vans. We wanted to capture Yaya with her grand babies, and I thought it would be fun to open presents. Of course, nothing would be complete without me goofing up, so Houston's gift was yet to be wrapped and still at my office. So he improvised and opened one of Hamilton's. The girls of course got baby dolls, Hammy got Legos, Harrison basketball stuff, Houston... well you were there. We were cleaning up the mess that tearing into presents create. Among the trash, Norma's birth certificate for her Cabbage Patch doll was on the floor. Her doll was not bought blindly, but bought without knowing the name the birth certificate held... Adaline birth date July 4; not Adalynne January 4, but close enough.

When my heart yearns for you and sadness starts to creep in, I think of these little moments over the last 9 years I have been given to remind me that not all is lost. In losing you I found unshakable faith. Yaya was sharing the doll story with Aunt Linda when Aunt Linda looked out her window to find a ladybug sitting there. My little ladybug, not a day goes by. I miss you fiercely. I close my eyes and I can see your sweet scrunched face and I can smell your sweet unique baby smell. Until we meet again I'll continue to look for you in the sunrises and sunsets and I'll think of you when a ladybug graces me with her presence.


Comments

Popular Posts