Is Mindfulness a Myth?

     Awe, mindfulness. Mindfulness is one of my top 20 favorite things. It is something that must be taught and then sought. For me, there is one sure fire way for be to obtain mindfulness when I start my day. If I start my day with a grateful heart (a simple "thank you for this day"), meditation and exercise the chances are in my favor for mindfulness. Science shows that for our mental health at least seven hours of sleep, thirty minutes of exercise, eating a balanced diet, addressing illnesses are all essential and so simple.  This is not something that I came up with, this is something I have learned from people who are angels among us. For me, my mediation does not involve Mala beads but Rosary beads; and it's through divine intervention of mindful meditation I am able to exercise. I know I should not feel this was about exercise and I am so grateful for my body that functions fully. I do not take my physical abilities for granted, but I despise exercise. There I said it.  Just like anything in life we want to accomplish, mindfulness takes work. But is maintaining mindfulness a myth?

This morning as my eyes opened just before 5 AM, not at all the ideal time to wake up, but the first thing I did was thank Jesus for this day. Then I layered up and went on a walk, not knowing how much I would need it later. 

Although, I started my day with a grateful heart I was distraught over the division and hatred Americans are facing right now. I do not understand how we (I am guilty too) can blindly follow people who have hidden agendas. I encourage my children to do research before jumping on certain trains. I had a psych professor who taught us to always consider the source when obtaining new information. Scientific studies for example, who funded the research? Are there hidden agendas the funding source is pushing? What is the point of the study? This is just an example, it can be applied to all aspects of our lives. 

Do we have so much information at our disposal that we have lost the ability to think critically; or is there so much false information or half truths that we cant wade through the muck and get stuck? At the end of our lives does it really matter who held what position and when? I think it is important for us to live in the moment and strive to be mindful in moments that are fleeting. It's so important to start the day with a grateful heart. Hearts can get broken literally and figuratively. 

When I wrote the words above I had no clue what they day had in store for our family.  I wanted to get this out before I lost my nerve. Mindfulness is not a myth for those who seek it. I fail being mindful multiple times a day. Our lives are so full of distractions, and distractions are a part of our lives. But, what are we distracting ourselves from? That is where we can take a step back to reflect and practice being mindful. I know for me, I have to practice on letting the little things go; stains left on my newly disinfected counter, clean clothes thrown on floor because someone needed to dry one shirt, thrown football that broke a light fixture, trash stuffed under sofa cushions, I could go on for a while. At the end of the day I have to ask myself, do the ones I hold dearest in my heart know that how much I cherish them? 


Comments

Popular Posts