October 8, 2009

Planning a funeral for a child that is still alive is very bizarre. She is still here, though. I planned it, because I sustain her life. Once she is born her heart is too weak to do it for her. When she gets here I want to relish in her every breath without having to worry about planning a funeral.
I just do not want people to think that she has already passed...

I know there have been questions as to why we decided to travel the path we are going down. So, I am going to put it in a scenario; different situation but same instincts. As a parent, a mother rather, it is my first instinct to protect my children. If, Harrison were sick and I mean really sick; diagnosed with cancer and it had spread into a stage four; and we had tried everything to beat the cancer but the chemotherapy, radiation, bone marrow transplants, and stem cell transplants were not working, the cancer had continued to grow. Would we ask the nurse to give him a bolus of potassium to end his life just because he is terminal? Absolutely not, we would love him, cherish him, and do everything in our powers to protect the time he had left with us and pray like hell. Adalynne is no different, just because her life has only been inside of me doesn't discount the fact that she is still my little girl; our little girl. She was conceived out of love, wanted, celebrated. Her life matters to me and it matters to my husband, Harrison, Houston, and even our Jack Russel Chloe. Adalynne has a terminal diagnosis and it sucks, but she is still here. I live everyday and relish her movement while I sustain her life. I used to have this "feature" on our computer that counted down the days until my due date. Since learning of her terminal diagnosis, knowing I sustain her precious life, I don't look at it anymore. I don't want to know how far along I am in her pregnancy. It is almost like a count down of how much time we have with her. Am I in denial? No, but I know her due date is February 7, 2010. And when that day comes she will not leave the hospital. That is why living and relishing in her every movement is so vital to me getting through this journey. I love my little girl so much. She has been to Playa del Carmen, graduated college with her mommy, passed state boards, coached two soccer teams, helped a family in need in Guatemala, witnessed the union of six amazing people, been to every Titan's home game, and brought true happiness to me and even broke a few hearts. She likes going to the movies, she turns into an acrobat; flipping this way and that. She does not like it if I sit with my knees tucked up, it makes her move like crazy, and as soon as I put my knees down she stops moving. It is her own little way of letting me know she is perturbed with her mommy's current position. She does not like getting ultrasounds. When the doctors were trying to see what her face looked like she would not put her hands down, and then she would put them down for a second whenever they were focusing on another part of her body; but, as soon as they went back up to her face she would hide it. She could be twirling and spinning in my tummy like a manic, but as soon as someone, other than me, puts their hand on my belly to feel her she stops.

I planned her funeral the other day, and it was almost like planning the most important celebration of my life. I know she will never see the outside of a hospital alive. She will never feel the crisp air of fall on her face the smell of a campfire, or the ocean breeze making her dress flow in the wind, or smell wet asphalt after it rains, or the smell of fresh cut grass. I know we will not have the nail biting experience of transferring her from the hospital to home going 10 miles per hour, with comments from daddy like, "Don't they know we have a newborn in our car, why are they driving so close to our car?" She will never go to prom, her dad will not walk her down the isle on her wedding day. But, and this is a huge but, she will NEVER experience sadness or loss. All she will experience is the love and the warmth of those who love her. When she comes into this world and when she leaves she will be surrounded by a huge family that love their little Miss Adalynne Dior Vinett. Although it is her heart that is not strong enough to support her life, she will NEVER experience a broken heart. I find great comfort and strength in knowing my little girl gets to bypass the heartaches of life and go straight to eternal pure happiness.

Even so, I want her life to be validated. I know she does not care about her funeral. She will already be gone. Her time here on earth does not make her or her life any less important, or the fact that she should be celebrated. The procession from West End to Franklin with a white hearse, two white limos, the dozens of white roses and white Calla lilies, everyone in white or pink, the doves being released (three representing the Father, the Son, and The Holy Spirit circling above her grave site and then the fourth one representing Adalynne's spirit and then they all fly away), the bagpipes being played at the dove release, the 144 pink and white balloons released into the air, and the party afterwards at our favorite restaurant will all represent, validate, and celebrate this little girl's life. Extravagant a little over the top? Not for a little girl who has brought so many people together and touched so many lives. Planning it was like a cleansing, something that had to get done and it felt great once it was planned; because that means that from that day forward we can focus on her every movement until she leaves us.

Adalynne was painted as a pumpkin last night. I told you her dad was an amazing artist.

Comments

  1. Erika, Ryan is my account rep at channel four. He pointed me to your blog today and I cannot stop crying for you guys. I want you to know that I am praying for you and Ryan, your boys and your sweet little Adalynne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, I read this and I am so moved that I don't know what to say or even how to react. My heart breaks over your anticipated loss but to witness the amazing journey you, your daughter and your family are taking is nothing other than a gift from God. I know there is nothing I can say that will ease your pain, but I do know that God has mercy on the children and that your daughter will be welcomed into his arms. You are celebrating the life of your daughter and I'm grateful to be able to be witness to that. God Bless you all.
    John Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika,
    We are praying for your family and Adalynne's health. She sounds like she already has a great spirit and a big personality! You are a beautiful writer and have definitely captured all the emotions involved in, and the true meaning of, life. And for that I thank you! Since Adalynne is already so photogenic, it made me think about a website/organization that our photographers received after they lost their son a week before his expected due date. You may or may not be interested in this, but either way, the stories are touching. It is nilmdts.org and their pictures are beautiful! Please let Billy or I know if you need anything now or in the future!
    -Lauren Haley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika,

    I can tell that little Adalynne has already touched your life in ways unimaginable. She is a blessing from God and I'll be praying for your sweet girl, you, Ryan and the boys during this time. Greatness awaits your little pumpkin...

    Love,
    Kate Cottingham

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erika,
    Thank you so much for sharing this blog. It will bless anyone who reads it and is a wonderful reminder that the great and mighty God we serve is in control and will give us the strength we need right when we need it. I love the quote you shared about embracing questions as locked rooms. It is always tempting for me to try to find some reason or meaning in what God chooses to do. But the real joy is in knowing that He knows the answers to all of my questions and that He is always working "for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." You've been called, destined to make this journey. There are a million reasons and you may never know what any of them are, but God does. Praise His holy name. He is faithful.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erika- I am just learning of this news- Please know I will be praying for you and your family-especially Adalynne~ "Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them, because the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I assure you that whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it. Then he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on each of them and blessed them (Mark 10:14-16)." Stephanie Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika,

    I heard of your loss this evening and I came to your blog. Your baby girl is beautiful. I am SO sorry for the pain you must be feeling at this time. My prayers are with you and your family. Miss Adalynne is with God, and she is smiling...

    Jennifer Devine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good afternoon,

    I am so very sorry for your loss, I have followed Adalynne and your familys journey, and I must tell you, you guys have blessed me and my family so very much over the past months. She is beautiful and very blessed to be born into your family full of love and grace. Again, I am so sorry for your loss but Thank you so much for sharing and letting us join you on this amazing journey, your little girl has touch so many of us out here than you guys will ever know showing us grace and love, she will live on in the hearts of us all. Now your little ladybug will be smiling down on you all. You, Ryan and the boys will be in our Prayers.
    with much love,
    Kim P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts