Happy Birthday Mommy!

I get a lump in my throat that is so hard to swallow. I try not to allow myself to go to, "that place," the one where I feel sorry for myself. But, God, I miss my little girl and I want her back. I know that is not possbile, so what is the point in torturing myself. Adalynne's short precious life was with tremendous purpose. Yesterday, I was secretly feeling sorry for myself. Adalynne was here for everyone's birthday, everyone's but mine. I did not nor did I plan on vocalizing my feelings. What is the point? It only makes me sad to let myself think like that, and it is not productive. Adalynne showed me how to love and she gave me a voice; one which people actually wanted to hear. She was and is truly a miracle. I don't think the window to heaven closes all of the way when someone first goes to heaven. It is like they come back; just to check that you are all right. Especially when it is our child. I have smelled Adalynne. She had this amazingly wonderful distinctive smell. The hat they put on her when she was first born still has her smell. Ryan put it in a bag in hopes to preserve her smell a bit longer. I was in the kitchen last week or the week before making breakfast for the boys, and I smelled Adalynne; above the food and all. It made me stop dead in my tracks. I looked around frantically, for what, I don't know; but, she was there. I know it sounds crazy. A couple of days later Ryan told me he smelled Adalynne, and I was like, "oh my gosh me too!" He was also in the kitchen. Then, my mom and I were talking and she told me she had smelled Adalynne. My mom was all alone at her house and she smelled our little princess. Or, sometimes when I talk to Adalynne, I feel this sense of calm and peace all around my body and for that instant I am okay. When my mom and I were sharing our crazy commitable experiences with one another, she shared with me she experienced the same sense of calm when she talked to Adalynne. I know it sounds absolutely crazy.
Last night my mom came over for dinner. It was a pre Birthday dinner. She had stopped by Publix and found this amazing little ladybug cake. The people at the bakery said that they had never seen one like it before. It was like it was Adalynne and she showed up in the form of a mini ladybug cake, she is here for my birthday. When my mom got over here last night and showed me the cake I just started crying. I vocalized my feelings of feeling sorry for myself and I was sad that Adalynne was not here for my birthday. See Adalynne was my little ladybug. She was our little ladybug. The cake made me smile...

Comments

  1. She is there with you every day. Especially today on your special birthday day! I completely believe that they "stick around" I dont think they EVER leave. She will always be there to listen to you when you need her. You "carried" her for almost 10 months, she will carry you now for the rest of your life! Happy Birthday sweet Erika! I am glad the ladybug cake made you smile~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking and praying for you and your family though this time. Erika you are such a strong and beautiful person. I have been following your blog since the beginning.When I see you comming to pick up Houston I just want to run up and gave you hugs and let you know how sorry I am. Instesd i just give you a polite smile because I dont want to make you cry. Please know everyone at the center loves you and your wonderful family. I think of you often, we all do. Happy Birthday Erika- much love Emily Tarkington

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your entire blog and my heart aches for you. I lost my son at the age of 18 and miss him everyday. I feel a whisp of air or catch something off the side of my head and know that he is there. Enjoy your boys and God bless you for your strength through all of this. Do not hide your tears or feelings and do not let anyone tell you how to grieve, only you will know how to do it. Hugs, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memories bring smiles to our faces, tears to our eyes, and sometimes both at the same time. Losing a loved one is devastating, but we have
    all been left with a special gift - our memories. They are often the only things we
    have left after that special person is gone. Though at times they may be painful to think about,with them, our loved ones remain a part of us forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like me, I'm sure that there are many people that want to comment but it's so hard to think of the right thing to say.. not that there is anything that could make you feel better. I just want you to know that my heart goes out to you! It's ok to want your sweet little ANGEL. You are not being selfish, you are a MOTHER! Your mom was meant to go to publix and she was meant to find an amazing Lady Bug cake. Adalynne was leading the way! Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a dream after my father passed away in 2002. He appeared in the dream and told me, "I just want you to know that I get to come down here and visit you and spend time with you when you need it." I feel like Adalynne is truly there when you smell her and get these special signs. God lets his special angels come back and visit to comfort us and to let them still be a part of our lives. You are an amazingly beautiful strong person. Adalynne has a wonderful mommy and she knows it, now more than ever! Love, your old A&P lab partner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A story was sent to me by e-mail. A little girl was also born with many defects and was not expected to live. She did live and one day when she was sitting on her mom's lap she became very still. Mom asked what was wrong. She said do you smell that? Mom thought she was talking about the rain coming. The little girl said no, that is what he smelled like. She was referring to when God was holding her in his arms when she was so sick . God is holding Adalynne in his arms and she is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wondering how you are doing? Thoughts are prayers are with you. Hugs, Jane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts